My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Papa Wilko

Much has happened in the past few months. My schedule has improved tremendously, I broke the 1,000 hour mark of jet time and my airline, like most others, has had to impose cuts and recently announced that my home base will close in a few months. It has been a rollercoaster ride of fun (on the job), peppered with a fair dose of uncertainty and disillusionment over the way the company is treating our pilot group.
But most important of all, Oliver arrived.


Early on a June morning, the little guy made his appearance and has blessed our lives with his presence since.
Holding a brand new baby, only a few minutes old, was much like being presented with a complex new machine with no instructions. No panic. Bewilderment, perhaps. And a whirlpool of questions, including the one most asked by airline pilots: "Why's it doing that?"
I will never forget the thrill of that day. I could not believe that the frail little being all bundled in my arms was my son. It's hard to think that he will one day walk, talk, think and build a life and family of his own. 
It has been a steep learning curve but every day, as hard as it might have been, has brought more fulfillment and rewards than I ever thought imagineable. 
He's a funny little one who will often shoot us a knowing smile when, errr let's just say, he has left a big surprise for us in his diaper. Also, while obviously oblivious to our jokes, his timing is uncanny and he will laugh along with us. A very sweet laughter.

 The days have been long and the nights short, (mostly for my wife, to be fair) but no words can describe the feeling of seeing your child smile back at you with complete and utter sincerity. He is an unspoiled wonder, a true little miracle who has rekindled in me a sense of wonder and innocence that the past few years in journalism and the airlines may have robbed me of. Or maybe it's being a grown-up, or at least posing as one, that tarnished that in me. 
Welcome, Ollie. And thank you for warming my heart every day and allowing me to be a child too. 






5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Captain! That is great news! As you already know, life will never be the same - but that will be a good thing. I hope mom is doing well and you don't do without too much sleep!

I really hope the airline situation gets better and things work out for you after all of your hard work. It's been a great story to read, thanks for sharing it! Hopefully the grind won't ever wring the love of flying out of you.

Cheese (from the old iPilot)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Wilko...cute kid...gimme a call

-Ron Jeremy

2:09 PM  
Blogger Capt. Wilko said...

Thanks guys. Good to hear from you both. Hope you're enjoying your flying.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Yellowbird said...

Congrats, Mark! He's a cute little guy. But you need to get him some clothes with airplanes on them!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful for a very busy father to find time watching his child grow up.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home