My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Saturday, January 21, 2006

The final shutdown

At about 17:30 yesterday, I logged off my work computer and left the building for the last time.
For the past year I've thought about that moment and wondered how it would feel. A certain sense of relief would no doubt be part of the cocktail of emotions as well as happiness and excitement about turning a new page.
And yet I found myself carrying just a hint of sadness in my heart. Not a single ounce of regret but certainly a little nostalgia, knowing that that was the last day of the past five and a half years of my life. The previous day had been spent printing a number of stories I wrote in that period, a lengthy process that brought back some very good memories indeed and made me feel good about my time at the company.
As Friday drew to a close, I hit the button on my keyboard, gathered my stuff, shook a few hands and headed out into the evening, where friends awaited at a nearby bar. The walk there afforded me a few minutes to ponder the moment and I found myself smiling. I felt like a kid with a whole bright new future ahead, opportunities and adventures that would take me far away from the darker days of my now previous career.
When that screen went dark and silent, it took with it the bad memories and locked them all away.
I pushed open the door to the pub and for the first time in a while had a head full of only the good times behind and anticipation for those ahead.
A week from today it'll be here. I'll miss my wife tremendously, it won't be easy but we're sure of this decision.
Here I go...

3 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Congrats on moving forward with your career change. If your flight training brings you to the vicinity of BKL, send me an e-mail and you'll get a free lunch out of it!

IFR Pilot
http://ifrpilot.blogspot.com

4:58 PM  
Blogger Capt. Wilko said...

Thanks guys! While I might not venture out as far as where John is, there's a chance I might end up flying to the midwest, in which case I'll definitely be in touch IFR Pilot. Lunch sounds good!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Avimentor said...

Good luck and blue skies, Captain!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home