My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Me and Mrs. Nole -- days 3 and 4

It's been busy as all heck and it seems I can't get WiFi at the apartment anymore, so couldn't update the blog yesterday.
We went up in the Seminole yesterday for the first time and went through all the maneuvers: steep turns, stalls, Vmc demo, inflight engine failure (shutdown, troubleshoot, secure and air start, which is pretty damn cool to see!), emergency descents, slow flight and a couple of landings. The plane is awesome, it handles well and as John noted is quite stable.
I was a little behind on the procedures yesterday, since my attention was diverted by an unfamiliar airplane but it was a good learning experience. We then headed to Culpeper (CJR) for a couple of landings. That went quite well. The Nole lands flatter than the Cessna and doesn't really flare, so a little adjustement was required.
Spent the evening yesterday running the flows and procedures through my head. It was pretty funny actually because I did that while fixing dinner, while using the bathroom, going out for a smoke break and again this morning in the shower. It worked!
Came in this morning and while my instructor was busy with another student, I hopped into the sim and banged out every maneuver twice. The procedures came to me much faster and I performed well.
Around 2 p.m. we headed out to the practice area and did them all for real. Since they all fell within PTS, we then headed back to CJR for short-field landings and take-offs. The first two were clumsy but sorta within PTS. My skills improved, however, after those and the remaining four were nice so we headed back to CSN VOR, picked up our ADIZ clearance and made a nice landing back at KHEF.
I love the Seminole. Just love it!
The multi-engine private checkride is scheduled for Monday morning at 1130. I probably won't get to fly between now and then because the weather looks pretty awful, but we're planning on going up early on Monday to make sure everything is up to snuff. The studying is also coming along OK and I should be ready for the oral.
Flying a twin isn't that much harder than a single, not the Seminole anyway since it's not super powerful. But the experience is so much different. I'll try and write more about that soon.
For now, I must go. More sim, more studying and more prepping for Monday.
Later, all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

Sounds like an awesome experience. i can't wait to get my hands on a twin. the one i'll be most likely be flying is also a seminole. please keep us updated about how it goes!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Tiffany S said...

Thanks for thiis blog post

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home